Saturday, May 28, 2011

Wee hours....

The sun rises early here and so do I. So, off I went on a solo exploratory walk in my new neighborhood. I had heard about a park across the street so I set off to find it. I didn't have to go far as there is an entrance directly across from the entrance to the hostel! I can't believe I hadn't noticed it before! As I walked through the gate, I entered the most fantastic tropical park scattered with locals (and Ajahn Rob-one of our CSUC instructors) getting their morning exercise and calisthenics in. The park's bricked trial serpentined around exercise stations, lily ponds, and beautiful lush greenery.













The ponds were absolutely beautiful and the whole area was peaceful.

They even had lily pads and flowers!

 There were many calisthenic stations like this:
Each calisthenic station had a sign that told you what exercise to do, how to do it, and how many times is appropriate.
 Eventually I exited the park and made my way across the street and down the sidewalk. I thought I should take a picture of these sidewalks. I don't know if it's all the social work classes or what but the first thing that comes to mind when I walk down sidewalks like this is 'what would you do if you were in a wheel chair?'
As I am walking, I notice that I am one of the few people out and about at 6:30am on a Sunday morning. I am accompanied mostly by shop keepers sweeping off their front porches.
Even the shop that intrigues me the most isn't open for business yet:
I can't wait to see what this place is actually selling!
On the opposite side of the street from the shops are agriculture fields that offer a breathtaking view! I am a little surprised not to see anyone working in the fields yet...

This market will be really busy very soon!
Another view along my way...
I eventually arrive at my destination: 7-11! haha  I need to put more minutes on my phone and check out what is sold at a 7-11 in Chiang Mai.
It's a good thing these gas prices are in Baht!

I also ran into a few more dogs. I don't think that I've mentioned this but there are dogs everywhere here! They are around temples, under cafeteria tables, walking the streets.... everywhere. People don't pay any mind to them and they are very calm and keep to themselves. I have never seen a dog bother someone or beg for food.
On my way back I was honored to come across a local teen getting an impromptu blessing from 2 passing monks. There were also 2 dogs who stopped and seemed to enjoy the chantings as well.
As I walked down the narrow sidewalk, I noticed something jumping all around my feet! Upon further investigation, I realized they were super tiny frogs hopping all around me! I tried to take their picture but they had more important places to be. This guy however, did strike a pose!
About an hour later I returned to my home away from home, sticky with sweat but feeling very refreshed!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bethany,
    What a beautiful place to be! I love it!

    ReplyDelete